Why doesn't this product qualify for VAT Relief?
Unfortunately many of our products are not eligible for VAT Relief, this is due to strict regulations from HMRC.
A product is only eligible for VAT Relief if it was "designed & manufactured solely for use by the disabled".
This means that products that fall into the following categories are not eligible for VAT Relief.
- Products that were originally designed & manufactured for any other reason other than to help the disabled, even if they are now commonly used by people with disabilities
- Any product that was designed for use by both disabled & non-disabled individuals
What is VAT Relief for the disabled?
VAT Relief for the disabled is a government scheme that allows the zero-rating of VAT on certain goods if conditions are met.
If you are chronically disabled (criteria below), you will be able to purchase any eligible products on our website VAT free.
How do I place an order & claim VAT Relief?
Via our website:
- Add any products that you would like to buy to your basket
- View your basket
- Tick any boxes that say "I (or the person I'm buying for) qualifies for VAT Relief for the disabled
- VAT will be removed from any of the qualifying products
Finally, we will then ask you for the necessary information during the checkout procedure.
Orders can be placed via telephone with VAT Relief, however it will be a longer process.
Unfortunately we cannot take verbal VAT declarations, this means you have two options:
- We charge the full amount (including VAT) but dispatch a VAT Relief Declaration with your order, once you complete & return the declaration we will then refund your VAT
- You call us & request for a VAT Relief Declaration to be sent to you (either via email, or postal mail), once this is returned & completed we can then call you to take your order with VAT Relief included
What information do I need to provide?
You will need the following information:
- The name of the individual that qualifies for VAT Relief
- The address of the individual that qualifies for VAT Relief
What conditions do I (the customer) have to meet?
You (or the individual you are purchasing the goods for) must meet the following criteria
- You are chronically sick or disabled and
- You are buying the products for your (or the person who's disabled) personal or domestic use
You can purchase goods & claim VAT relief on behalf of another person, but we will require some personal information (of the individual you are buying for) at checkout.
What qualifies as being "chronically sick or disabled"?
The following qualifies as being chronically sick or disabled:
- You have a physical or mental impairment which has a long-term and substantial adverse effect upon your ability to carry out everyday activities
- You have a condition that the medical profession treats as a chronic sickness, such as diabetes or Alzheimer's disease
- You have a terminal illness
Common examples of chronic disabilities include (but are not limited to); Alzheimer's, any form of dementia, Parkinson's, arthritis, blindness, deafness, physical disability.
Temporary disabilities such as broken bones, or even postoperative confusion, are not classed as chronic disabilities or impairments.
If you are in any doubt regarding your (or the person you're purchasing for) condition, please ask your GP whether it is a chronic or acute impairment.